The Global Peace Initiative is an effort to bring people together from all over the world to celebrate peace and love for one another. I will be traveling to the middle east and through Europe starting on February 1st. In my travels I hope to spread "peace cards" to everyone I meet who has made some kind of impact or contact with me in my travels; if you are reading this blog chances are you met me or met someone who has. I hope that everyone who receives a card posts on this blog and passes the card on; the more posts, the larger the impact. Feel free to write encouraging words, poems, or just friendly messages.
Love,
John
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Finished all the peace cards this weekend in the poconos with my brother and sister and some friends. I sent 2 cards to a friend in Colorado and gave one to a guy on the sidewalk in Baltimore this morning and I also gave one to a friend who lives in Reading. Tomorrow I leave for the middle east and will begin passing around the cards. This is going to be a fun project, I hope everyone enjoys it! Hopefully we will start seeing some posts pop up in the next few days!
ReplyDeletesending my first peace card on today! you should be about half-way through your flight by now. can't wait for your journey and may the four winds blow you safely home. <3 christin
ReplyDeletemohnton, pennsylvania, usa
got my first peace card from john as he left for his journey #020
These peace cards really made me smile when I got them. I'm excited to send them out later this week and have someone smile because of their encouraging messages to bring us all together in love. Blessings on your trip John, this project is an awesome idea!
ReplyDelete“Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
Boulder, Colorado, USA
received my first peace cards before john left on his adventures #400 & #401
I received 4 peace cards in the mail today from John. I'll write a post for each one because each is headed in a different direction. I'm passing the first on to my roommate, Stanley.
ReplyDeleteA thought inspired by Howard Zinn: "Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." - Howard Zinn
Brenna
Glendale, AZ USA Card #057
I helped John create some of these peace cards in the Poconos last weekend, and took a couple to pass along. I will update when I do.. this is such a great idea John and I am glad I got to help be a part of it! I hope you are safe in your travels, and experiencing it all! I can't wait to see where these cards end up! :) miss ya!
ReplyDeleteRobbi
Baltimore, MD
John:
ReplyDeleteEmma Kate sent your card along with very sweet letter. I congratulate you on a wonderful idea. I'm glad to see that there is something beside a critical and cynical spirit out there. Stay open to all the possibilities you encounter. I am sending the card on so I will check back and see where it lands.
Lee Harbin
San Antonio Texas
Thank you so much for this beautiful initiative, John. I hope you can spread the message all over the world, because “What the world needs now is love sweet love. It’s the only thing that there’s just too little of. What the world needs now is love sweet love. No, not just for some, but for everyone”. And where there is love, there can be peace. Hope you have safe travels spreading the word! Almost forgot, I received three cards from John at this restaurant we went to in Doha. I gave one to my mum (who was with us) and am giving one to a friend. Am keeping one to myself too!
ReplyDeleteErica (from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
Currently in Doha, Qatar.
Hi John, I am Erica's mum, Vera. I love your idea and I think more people should follow your example to spread messages of love and peace around the world. My card number is 125. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteVera (from Rio, Brazil) in Doha, Qatar
Hey everyone! I am currently in Edinburgh Scotland, I spent the last few days on the Isle of Skye in the North of Scotland. Its was absoultly breathtaking there!
ReplyDeleteIt was recently brought to my attention that the blog was inhibiting people from posting if they didn't have a google account. I made changes to the settings of the blog and hopefully it should be a little more user friendly to those who don't have a gmail account. I hope that anyone who tried to post in the last week will come back to the blog and try again!
I'm off to Rome on Friday, hope to pass out lots of Peace cards!
Love,
John
Hello John
ReplyDeleteThis is Kelly, we met on the flight to Edinburgh :) You may remember I was taking my son Reuben to the children's hospital for emergency surgery to his leg - he had been diagnosed with a suspected cancerous bone tumour. Well, I think you may have brought us some good luck with your little peace talisman because Reuben had an MRI scan and his consultant has now said that he's going to be fine! Turns out this lump is just a calcifcation caused by a knock or injury probably due to him being so sporty (google myositis ossifcans if you're curious). He loves football, or should I say soccer? :)So he's just got to take it easy at home and let his leg recover not easy when you're 8! :) We have to go back in six weeks just to be absolutely sure this new diagnosis is correct but I'm very optimistic. Reuben is intrigued by your little card and wants to keep it and I think he'd like to post a mesage of his own too. It was nice to meet you and thanks for bringing a little bit of friendlyness and positivity into our lives at a time when we were feeling so anxious. Enjoy Rome and try and come to Brighton if you ever return to the UK. We'd love to meet up with you again :) Lots of love and happy faces from Kelly, Reuben and Amy xxxx kelly@kellysands.com
Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion.
ReplyDeleteDalai Lama
A few words of inspiration that I thought were very appropriate :) - Kelly xx
Hello my name is Reuben. I am 8 years old. I live in Brighton, East Sussex, England with my mum, Kelly and my little sister Amy. We live by the seaside. We met you on the plane going to Scotland. Thank you for giving us the card it brought me good luck so I didnt have to have an operation on my leg. Make sure you check out the football stadium in Rome and please send me a postcard I collect them. Thanks. Love from Reuben x
ReplyDeleteCard number: 079
Kelly and Reuben, I am so glad to hear that your trip to the childrens hospital went so well! Reading your post brought tears of joy to my eyes! You have raised two incredible children; I didn't get the chance to talk to them much but they just glow with joy and happiness.
ReplyDeleteThe moment I saw you and your family in the airport, it brought a smile to my face. The amount of joy and glee coming form a child who has been delt a bad hand, and clearly seeing his ability to make the best out of each and everyday is incredible!!
I wish you the best of luck in the future, please stay in touch and keep me updated on your lives.
Reuben, I will get your address from your mum and I will be sure to send you a postcard from Rome.
"There was once a man who didn't know his limits. Because no one told him it was impossible he made it possible."
With Love,
John
This is a sweet project! My friend Emma Kate send this to me in the mail.
ReplyDelete"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one."
-John Lennon
Karba
Santa Barbara, CA card # 401
Not sure if love is the solution, but I guess spreading some won't hurt. :) ... And, BTW, make sure you spread some more here in Naples! :D -- loveaholicliciously /Fergus -- Naples, Italy -- got the card from John himself -- #021 -- P.S. I too think "Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion." in some comment above would make an excellent card.
ReplyDeleteHi John!
ReplyDeleteThis is Claudia and I received one card from you on that past crazy friday's night.I really had a great time!
Patricia and Arvin received one each other too and visit this blog...but they prefer not to write a comment! (remenber it's hard for us writing in english, I would like to do it in spanish!)
well, I think this is a really amazing idea you had, and I hope everyone you will meet in your trip visits and leaves comments...
I can't remember what day were you leaving Madrid but I hope you enjoyed staying here, and I want you to know you're really spreading your ideas and love around the world.
My best wishes for you
y un poquito de amor
Claudia (Madrid, Spain!)
Hey John!
ReplyDeleteThis is Leandra (Marlie's friend). I enjoyed hanging out with you guys the other night and I think this idea is really cool. I hope you had fun in Madrid and continue to have good travels! :)
Besos,
Leandra
Madrid, Spain card # 081
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteWe met on the flight from Edinburgh to Rome two weeks ago, and you gave me your card somewhere above France, I think. It was a dreadful flight, but our conversation and your ideas gave me inspiriation during my stay in Rome. It was a pity we didn't found the time to meet, but don't worry: you've spread your love & peace all the way to Edinburgh, and I'll take it back with me to Amsterdam when I'm done with my studies in June. I hope your interview in Spain went well! And good luck with your project, it's wonderful.
Edinburgh, Scotland. Card #061
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteI am Manuel Da Silva and I've receied your card from Joao Juma. I've met him a few months ago in an european leadership congress. Card 072 is the number of the one I've received.
By reading the comments on this blogspot I became curious about you worldview and the actual project. I can only say that I want to meet you so you can explain it. Hope to see you soon.
Brussels, Belgium, Card #072
Stayed with John in Barcelona whilst we attended selective training for a prospective job. Well buddy, we're both about to embark on what I think will be a great life adventure.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Marc
London, UK, card no 093
"There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind has achived the second" Logan Pearsall Smith
Heya John!!How u going?I'm Cris the blond girl.
ReplyDeleteHave u got a nice travel??Saturday night was nice in the Ramblas club in Barcelona was cool!!Did u remember our tour guide??"Yeahh it's nice club, but it's close at 3.30 a.m." he told us when we was inside...
That's a pity that you come back to your city so early.
Seee uu the next time!!
kiss & regards,
Spain, Barcelona, card #107
Hello everyone! This project has been so much fun, I hope it continues to grow and prosper as times goes on. Make sure to pass your cards on so we can keep the good vibes flowing.
ReplyDeleteI recently just returned back to the United States but only for a short time. I was fortunate enough to land a great job with a company in Barcelona! The job will allow me to travel around the world, mostly in developing countries; my dream job!!
I am so so so excited about the new career, and I am also very excited that I'll be able to keep this project going during my travels. Keep me in your thoughts.
If anyone who I have met on my travels would like to stay in contact with me, feel free to send me an email at john.e.kirlin@gmail.com
Love,
John
hey john!!!!!!!!!!! My name is Bruna, we meet in Faro, Portugal...You said that I wouldn't sent u a message but...here I am! and u??? do u even remember me???
ReplyDeleteI'm really surprised with this project...it's a great idea, spread the love and peace with cards, fantastic!
I hope that the rest of your trip went well! Is too bad that u gave me only ine card but when I meet someone who really knows the meaning of this kind of project and have some kind of impact for me I will give the card to that person...
and i'm really happy for u and your new job! if u came to portugal again...i'll be here!
Take care
Bruna Nair #132, Faro, Portugal
(sorry about the mistakes, I don't write english for a long time)
We met in Bella Napoli on a random chance encounter. Late at night, I decided to go to a bar to meet some couchsurfing contacts I had made, and low and behold John found his way there as well. We talked for quite some time with a group of people that we all met and it turned out to be a beautiful night despite the rain that we were sheltered from. With good drink and good company no matter where you are life seems just that much better. Meeting John was not only a pleasant experience but an inspiring one as well.
ReplyDeleteI am currently living and writing this letter in Firenze, Italia, after literally months of having this card in my wallet. My card number is #033, an original as I recall. I plan on passing it on to someone in Africa if all goes well and I continue to meet appreciative, inspiring, and extraordinary individuals!
SPREAD THE LOVE!!
Hunter M Davis
onetwellve@yahoo.com
John! It was great seeing you on your cross country tour. I have known John for a few years first being friends with my sister then occasionally sharing a beer around Reading. We had spoken about travels and now we both left the area to explore the beautiful world.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you decided to close one chapter of your life and start a new one. The movie Into the Wild inspired my travels to South America and now I find myself in Colorado. I live where I used to vacation Life's Good.
I wish you the best of luck in your new working adventure. Try to hold on to the dream job as long as possible. I hope to possibly crash your travels somewhere along the way. Keep in touch.
Now who to send the message of Peace&Love to that will post and be in an amazing place hmmm?
Garett Palecek
Denver, Colorado USA
g.palecek@gmail.com
#095
Hello John,
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be quite an inpressive guy from what I've been reading here and I guess it would be interesting to meet you someday.. Well if you, by any chance, happen to drop on by in Maastricht/Holland, do let me know!!
I received this card from a friend(Juma) while visiting him in Faro.
Leona Reuter
Leonabeau@hotmail.com
#98 it is! Keep on goin!
Hey John,
ReplyDeleteI'm Monika, originally Lithuanian, studying in the Netherlands now. I got a card no 98 from my friend Leona in Maastricht, the Netherlands. I passed it to a Lithuanian girl whom I met partying in Brussels and hopefully she will continue to spread your message as she's travelling around Europe in summer.
Greetings!!